Sunday 4 October 2015

1st Editorial Shoot

So taking a break from all of the Fashion Week madness I am delighted to share with you my experience on my 1st editorial shoot!  As I mentioned earlier I am currently studying at the London College of Style and this past week we trekked all the way to Windsor/Eton, UK to have our 1st editorial shoot.  The theme of the editorial was "Colour has no gender".  1/2 the class was given women in red and the other half, the half that I was apart of, was given men in pink.  First I started with lots of research, one of my favourite parts of the styling process, and through my research I put together a mood board.  I struggled a bit with my direction of the outfit.  I knew the mood would be street and then I explored themes of graffiti and the warehouse environments of New York City and settled on the mood board below.


I made the mood board using Photoshop, which was another challenge, but one I quickly became comfortable with after spending a Saturday taking an introductory class.  

Finding pink clothes for men was difficult, nearly impossible to find exactly what I was looking for.  So after a day of scouring through vintage and second hand/charity shops I made my way to Primark on Oxford street and bought a navy blue jumper/sweater and some navy plaid trousers.  I also picked up a pink camo printed tee shirt from Topshop and a white button down shirt from Primark.  My idea was to customize the jumper with hot pink wool.  Originally I wanted to weave the wool into the jumper, but that didn't work so I decided to take a 2 hour crochet one on one session to try to learn how to crochet so I could make shapes that would sit on my jumper.  I wanted the shapes to be curved and free flowing, similar to how graffiti is.  And after many hours of, I made the jumper below


I also made a made a hat, using a united navy hat that I purchased at Primark and using the pink yarn to weave through the hat.  I don't have a picture of the hat, but hopefully some of the final images will show the hat off, it really completed the outfit.  After speaking with one of the directors at the college I returned the navy trousers and bought a skinny jean in a dark, wax-like denim from Zara.  And after much frustration with the shoes I found a pair of white shoes at Sportdirect and spray painted them hot pink, in the end, I think these came out amazing despite that fact that I had to do them at 6:00 pm the night before the shoot.  

The day of the shoot was long, and there was a lot of waiting around, but it was so exciting to see what everyone else had put together and to really complete the process from conception to final photograph.  The model was amazing, Lachlan Wincott, such a long day for him and only 16, but he kept his spirits up and did a really great job.  The model turned photographer Jamie Kendrick also was really great, as each shoot would finish he would show us the images on his laptop and each shoot looked amazing.  The experience as a whole is one that I can't wait to do again.  I loved customizing my pieces and then seeing them come to life on the model and in the photographs.  

The image below is just one I took with my phone.  Once I receive the actual final images I will definitely share them with you.  Stay tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment