Friday 9 September 2016

New York Fashion Week - Day 1 & 2

So we moved to New York City 2 weeks ago and got a little panicky when I realized that I had made any ticket requests for NYFW.  So I got on it and managed to get invites to some really great shows that I'm going to tell you all about here, along with all my other favourites from the week ahead.  Today I had the mazing pleasure of attending the Noon by Noor show.  I had a standing sit but managed to get a seat when I entered, the show ran about 20 minutes late and it was quite a fashionable affair.  Much different than London, in London fashionable people are just everywhere, I think they blend in a lot better, but in NYC most people dress the same so it is different, and amazing, to see what people are going to be wearing.  The space was a big warehouse, they had a super cute restaurant/cafe at the front, and the runway was set up so that the models walked around the room as oppose to just down the centre, which is what is typical in London.

Noon by Noor
Noon by Noor was a great show to attend.  The 2 designers are cousins and use their extensive travels as inspiration for the collection.  This collection used fluid silhouettes, iridescent embellishments, and light fabrics to communicate a mix of inspiration from Bahrain (the designers' native country) and New York City.  White, pink, and black stood out as the colour palette and there were lots of sequines and a minimal floral print.











Photos taken by me.

Just to highlight a few other shows...

Brock
The male/female duo behind Brock is one part stylist and the other part tailor to create a super wearable collection that I am loving for SS17.  I really like the easiness of the garments.  Slightly faded stripes and prints were used and we're still seeing a lot of matching sets, skirt and top, trouser and top, throughout all of NYFW, perfect for mixing and matching or wearing as a complete outfit.  Another trend that I am seeing coming through early on in the shows is silk and shiny fabrics gives the fabric a bit of texture.
I generally like to focus on dresses, but I couldn't help myself these skirt and top combos are great!

Top Looks





Adam Selman
There is this really great article, here, that gives you a glimpse into who Adam Selman is, read it, it will make you like him even more after you have seen his amazing collection.  In brief he designed all of those amazing costumes for Rhianna and seems like a very genuine person, even in this crazy fashion world.  His collection this season was fairly pale, whites, and pinks, with the exception of some black and denim.  Everything was oversize, which is a continued trend, and you'll also notice matching sets.  

Top Looks








ICB stands for The International Concept Brand and was started in New York in 1995.  And has a philosophy that fashion can be from everywhere, for anyone.  I love the collection because of the interesting details that were used, specifically with layering. 

Top Looks 




Adeam
Hanako is the designer behind Adeam and is originally from Japan.  She uses inspiration from New York and Tokyo and infuses art and wearability into her collections.    I love the detail in the top portion of her designs.  She offered great dresses in her SS17 collection.  She is also doing a bit of layering which I feel is seeping over from SS16, the layered slip dress with t-shirt.

Top Looks





Marissa Webb
I discovered Marissa Webb last year actually and fell in love with her SS16 show.  This Spring/Summer season was no different, mixing leather with gingham, and throwing in some satin.  I love her maxi dresses especially the gingham one below with the cutouts and prominent buttons.  

Top Looks







All photos taken from Vogue.com
Click on the designers name to see the entire SS17 collection


No comments:

Post a Comment